Have you ever seen someone and they had on an awesome outfit and then when you ask them where they got some item, they’re all, “I don’t know.” Um, okay, so little elves are dropping high heels and sweaters on your bed at night, WTF do you mean you don’t know? This is why I love the world of Style blogs, not fashion blogs mind you because the stuff there is usually expensive and impractical. Style blogs are blogs by women who show what they wear usually on a daily basis. Now, I call myself a pretty nice dresser, but I would sometimes get stuck in a rut of wearing the same things in the same ways over and over again. Style blogs have shown me ways to wear things I already own that I would have never come up with on my own. And get this they TELL YOU WHERE THEY GOT THEIR CLOTHES FROM!
Some things style bloggers have taught me are:
#1 – Great Style Doesn’t Have to be Expensive: A lot of style bloggers have participated in a challenge called 30 for 30, in which they must pick 30 items of clothing they own and wear them in different ways for an entire month, during which they are also not allowed to shop for clothes. Just by doing this exercise they are forced to "think outside the box" of their normal everyday style routine as well as save money.
#2 – Find your Own Sense of Style: Some outfits some of these ladies wear I'd never want to wear or think that I'd look particularly attractive in, but it has helped me to focus on what I DO LIKE & what I DO LOOK GOOD in. And even if an outfit isn’t particularly my style, I can take an element of it and incorporate it into my own wardrobe, FLIP IT & REVERSE IT, if you will.
#3 – Make it Yours: These blogs have taught me the value of making an outfit mine by stepping it up a notch. Now, I don't mean dressing up all the time or going all Nicki Minaj on everyone, but taking a basic outfit and taking it to the next level by adding a blazer or a scarf or a belt that is going to take the outfit from "nice" to "cool". It's that next step that can take an outfit from basic and boring to a conversation starter. And that way it doesn’t matter if everyone has the same dress as you because they aren’t rocking it like you!
STYLE BLOGGERS I READ:
· Fashion Bananas (this chick’s body & style is SICK)
· Major Must Haves (cute clothes& inspirational words)
· The Fashionista Next Door (fearless dresser)
· MzFashionCloset (MUA and awesome style)
· Shen Dove Style (reppin’ DC with cute looks)
· The Art of Accessories (quirky style and awesome gift guides around the holidays)
· Where Did You Get That (a little out there at times, but inspirational)
· …Love Maegan (love her style)
· la vie petite (cute “mom chic” style)
· Mix and Match Fashion (work style)
· Running on Happiness (3 words-glam-o-rus!)
· The Daybook (great style & right now she is making pregnancy look HOT!)
ETA: The shoes in the image are by Rachel Roy, the Pepino $110, right now her site only has them in purple.